Custom Search

Sunday, May 18, 2008

For Overseas Nurses

If you have qualified in a country other than Australia, you may be assessed as follows:

• By attending the Board's office in person and presenting documents, completing the application form and paying the prescribed fee, or

• By submitting documents, application form and prescribed fee by mail.

Please note that persons who have submitted documents by mail may be required to attend this office for an interview.

The documents required are:

• Certificate, diploma or degree issued by the educational institution/ hospital at which you undertook the course.

• A transcript/record of the education program(s) undertaken, issued by the institution/hospital at which you undertook your course, showing the following details:

Length of course;

Theoretical content of the course; lecture hours in each subject;

Clinical experience; in number of days or weeks of experience in each clinical area; and
Language of instruction.

• Certificate of initial registration from the country in which your nursing course was undertaken. If this is not available, verification must be sent directly from the nurse regulatory authority where your nursing course was undertaken to the Nurses Board of Victoria.

Please note: Annual practising certificate, provisional registration certificate, PIN card or registration receipts are not accepted in place of the above documents.

• Verification of current registration in the country in which you last practised. Please arrange for verification of your current/most recent registration to be sent directly to from the nurse regulatory authority to the Nurses Board of Victoria.

• Evidence of identity, in the form of a birth certificate (or current passport if no change of name).

• Marriage certificate or other documentation relating to any name change.

• Documentary evidence of work experience.

Translations: Documents not in the English language must be translated and certified by an accredited translation service. The document, both in its original language and its translation, should accompany your application.

Applicants requiring assessment

Following consideration of your application by the Board, you will be issued with a letter informing you of the requirements necessary to qualify for registration.

English language proficiency

If you have undertaken a nursing education program in a country in which English is not the first language; it will be necessary for you to first demonstrate your proficiency in English. The Board accepts the following English language skills tests,

• The Occupational English Test (OET) - Nursing version
An overall pass must be achieved.

Postal Address:
Language Australia
GPO Box 372 F
Telephone +6103 9612 2600 Facsimile +6103 9612 2601
Internet: Language Australia
Level 4, 51 Queen Street

• The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) ? Academic test An individual band score of at least 6.5 in Reading and Listening, and a score of at least 6.0 in Writing and Speaking with an overall band score of 7.0 or more must be achieved.

IELTS Australia
GPO Box 2006
Telephone: +6102 6285 8222 Facsimile: +6102 6285 3233
Email: Internet: http//

Please note: The English language skills test has a validity period of two (2) years.

A good working knowledge of English is a prerequisite for employment as a nurse in this country. The following institutions provide courses specifically designed to improve the language proficiency of overseas nurses who have a non-English speaking background:

Barton College of TAFE
South Road
Telephone: +6103 9209 5000
Contact: Susan Rumbelow Council of Adult Education
5th Floor, CAE Building
256 Flinders Street
Telephone: +61 03 9652 0719

RMIT University
English for Migrant Nurses
Department of Access and Preparatory Studies
Level 5, Room 502A
80 Victoria Street
Telephone: +61 03 9925 4373
Contact: Elizabeth Walpole or Lyn Comar VUT University
Formerly Western Metro College of TAFE
Corner Nicholson and Buckley Streets
Telephone: +61 03 9284 8888
Contact: Avril Cooke

Pre-registration programs for overseas qualified nurses

If you are assessed as requiring a pre-registration/ supervised practice program, the letter should be presented to the institution/hospital at which you apply for a vacancy. Entry to an accredited pre-registration program in higher education institutions normally requires an Australian residential permit.

The purpose of the assessment period is to provide you with an orientation to the health care system in Victoria and to enable you to demonstrate your ability to function as a registered nurse in this State. It will be necessary for you to contact the institution/hospital of your choice for admission to complete the pre-registration requirements.

The following institutions conduct accredited pre-registration programs for overseas qualified nurses:

Deakin University - Burwood Campus
211 Burwood Highway
Telephone (03) 9244 6120 or 9251 7333 Monash University - Peninsula Campus
McMahons Road
Telephone (03) 9904 4260 or 9904 4360

VUT - St Albans Campus
School of Nursing S043, PO Box 14428
Telephone (03) 9365 2830 La Trobe University - Bendigo Campus
School of Health and Human Sciences
PO Box 199
Telephone (03) 5444 7222

The Australian Nursing Council (ANC)

The Australian Nursing Council is a national nursing body established in association with the nurse State/Territory nurse regulatory authorities.

The Australian Nursing Council acts as a central assessor for overseas nurses intending to work in Australia.
The Australian Nursing Council provides assessment on the qualifications of overseas nurses seeking registration in Australia either direct or via an Australian Government office overseas. Information and application forms are available from Australian Government offices or directly from the Australian Nursing

Council at the following address:
Australian Nursing Council Inc
PO Box 873
Telephone: +61 02 6257 7960 Facsimile: +6102 6257 7955

Follow us

Follow us on facebook.

Translate the Page